Gas and Water Meters and Beeping
Posted by Mike_N

Friday, March 12, 2010 1:12:31 PM
Hi Chaps,

I feel somewhat embarrassed to be asking this question but I guess I'll leave my manliness at the doorstep and plough ahead!

I've just received my (rather large) gas & water bills both containing estimated meter readings, so I thought it would be a good idea to give them a genuine reading (mostly to try and get my bill down). Alas, having hunted around my flat and in various closets outside I have succeeded in only finding an electricity meter. Can anybody give me any pointers as to where my gas and water meters are?

Secondly, I'm sure a lot of people heard the alarms from the smoke vents going off for the majority of last night. Does anyone know:

i) What causes this happen
ii) How to switch off/reset the alarm

Cheers for your help!

Mike N

Flat 12

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Groups: Registered

Friday, March 12, 2010 2:02:49 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for using the blog!

I have called Ed this morning and just now and he told me that he made few calls.
The management company is working on it today (20 people are involved) and will try to sort this problem out today and as well some further checks will be done. Ed is as well monitoring the situation.

If it happens, please open the box with you letter box key and press the black button.
I know that your fire alarm system was the worst as it was flashing red and I tried yesterday night (but unsuccessfully) to stop it......

If it happens again, he told me to call the management company:
Granville & Company
Chardin House
Chardin Road
London W4 1RJ
020 8995 5284

The manager in charge is: Mr. Niamh Mcbride
niamhmcbride@granvilles.com

They are as well open during the week end.

For the gas meter, I can show you tonight if you want to:

- Gas meter are located on the parking space: white doors just next to the bins storage
- Electricity is located on you stair level behind normal doors: somebody opened them and did not locked them. Please use the same key as for the bins storage.

We personnaly still use EDF but we insatlled a 20:20 meter
For the gas, it is true that Southern Electric is a bit expensive: they charged us £141 pour 3 months... I am thinking of switching provider.

Hope it helps!

Aude
Flat 28

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Groups: Registered, AcademyCourtAdmin

Friday, March 12, 2010 2:30:27 PM
Hi Aude,

Thanks for the reply, very helpful! I did try pressing the black button, but all that seemed to achieve was to open the door leading into the vent - not quite the outcome I was looking for!!

Will check out my gas meter tonight (and pray the reading is smaller than what they think it is / was)!

Any idea where I can find the water meter?

Mike

Friday, March 12, 2010 2:36:45 PM
Hi Mike,

Water is for sure located on the same floor as the cupboard for electricity meter. I think it is the cupboard next door.
It is set up as Thames Water.

Aude

Monday, March 15, 2010 5:51:52 PM
Another query on the water bills.

When we bought our property, we paid £400 upfront in water charges, so I was surprised to see the bill from Thames Water. I think Crest may have mistakenly included water charges in the service charges, without realising that thames water had separately installed water meters.

Did everyone else pay a water charge upfront? If so, I think we need to ask Crest what this cost is intendedto cover.

Thanks

Rós

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)

Monday, March 15, 2010 5:56:31 PM
Hi,

I also paid this charge upfront and was under the understanding that this would be cover as part of our service charges, therefore, would be interested to know why we would be charged twice for this.

Thanks,

Ciara

Monday, March 15, 2010 7:15:14 PM
That is true!!
I am going to call Thames Water as they may not have been informed about this upfront fee which has been already paid..
Thanks Ros, I was about to pay twice!!!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:07:50 PM
Hello,
I have just called Thames water and there is nothing they can do and they have to bill us.
I have been redirected to the sales departement at Crest and anded up on a voicemail machine so I hope someone will get back to me today so I can let you know what they say.

Aude

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:18:38 PM
Hello,

Omar Ali from Granville just got back to me and the £400 upfront fees are indeed purely for water and transfered into Granville's bank account by our sollicitors.

Please scan/email him your current water bill and he will refund you the difference and then, you will start from scratch with the next water bills.(You can't ask for the refund if you have not received the bill yet)

omarali@granvilles.com

Personnally, I told him that it is not normal that it is not working like for the gas and electricity but he told me that there may have been a confusion with Crest about estimated bills and water meter bills.....

Whatever, I hope it helps....

Aude

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:24:55 PM
Hi Aude,

Thanks for sorting this out!! Just for clarification, does this mean that Granville will pay the outstanding Water Bill and refund the difference from the £400 back to us? Seems completely crazy, why can they not just give us the full amount back and leave us to pay our own bill - would be much easier!!

Mike
Flat 12

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:05:06 PM
Hello Mike,
That is what I have been told and it is indeed not logical.
They should give us the entire money back. I am going to call again tomorrow. In the mean time, can you please email him?
Thanks,
Aude

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:18:09 PM
Dear all,

Omar came back to me and said that they plan to deduct the upfront water fees already paid on completion from their next management fees bills. It is still due to be confirmed from their account department and he will keep me updated as soon as it is fully confirmed.

Regards,
Aude
Flat 28

1 user thanked Flat_28 for this useful post.
Mike_N on 3/18/2010
Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:24:31 PM
I agree it makes much more sense for them to credit us with the full £400. Afterall that was supposed to cover at least a year's worth of water from the point at which they took over the development, not when we first moved in (because Crest were paying for services initially).

Does anyone know when they are going to clean the windows - monthly cleaning is part of the service charge?
Alex

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:15:11 PM
Hi,

Please see reply from Omar about the window cleaning.

"I can confirm the windows are due for a clean on Monday 29th March. As yet, we are unsure as to the schedule and frequency but will liaise with the leaseholders with further news as we establish a way forward."

Thanks,

Ciara

• Watch this topic
  • Email this topic
  • Print this topic
  • RSS Feed

Please Login or Register